Wednesday, November 25, 2020

Gatherings

Thanksgiving has always been my favorite holiday.  As a kid, this was when cousins, aunts, my brother and his wife, and more family would gather.  I would be surrounded by generations of determination, strength, laughter, and excellent food.  I was so happy when I was allowed to help in the kitchen with the grownups.  It was that communal time with all of those boisterous women that I embraced joy in feeding others as a way to show love. I can still smell Grandma’s homemade yeast roles and dressing every time I think about thanksgiving.

 Isn’t that we do this for?  To imbibe food and family with a sense of belonging. 

In recent years it has been a tumultuous time of year.   Invariably, Liberty would have an appointment for a procedure, pump refill or a check in and we would be driving back or forth to Ft. Worth.  We’d still try to keep up at least part of the traditions for the big turkey meal. The exact day we celebrate on isn’t as important as the ritual of the eating and coming back together.  

Isn’t that we do this for? To follow in the healthy traditions that feed our community.  

This year we are a small crew due to circumstances and COVID.  We are missing Rachael’s sister and family. They have suffered a big loss in the passing of her mother in law.  We shared their loss with them and pray for peace. 

Prayers and lifting each other up is so vital now.  As I ran my own Turkey Trot this morning, I reflected on my little town and all of my communities. Praying a mantra as I circled the town: with every step and every breath I ask for health and safety of these people.  With every step and every breath bless us with continuous kindness and love.  My circles may be small, but we are strong when we share in love and kindness. 

Isn’t that we do this for? To share in the communal meal which strengthens us spiritually, emotionally and physically.  

Pineapple upside down cake was my grandmother’s favorite.   She taught me when I was young and always requested me to make it for her. It’s a privilege to continue using recipes.  Helps to keep the traditions alive.  And the memories.   

Isn’t that what we do this for?  Gathering in memory or person. Celebrating our family in whatever form our family comes in. 

Part of our shared experience has to be the creating, telling and retelling of our stories.  It is within these magical moments of sharing and retelling stories that we are open to truly embracing one another.  The more we tell these stories the more we bond together.   We are all a story. 
I want to know all of your stories and share mine.  We have a need, whether we want to admit it or not,  to bond together through our uplifting memories and through the harder and more painful  memories. We have a need to share ourselves through the power of story.   Now we may be sharing through a computer screen, a phone call, or in person. 

Isn’t that what we do this for?  Inviting others in to share our love, pain, and laughter through our experiences. This is a chance to tell and hear our stories. The mode doesn’t matter as long as we keep sharing our stories and passing them down. 

All across our country smaller familial groups are gathering in gratitude. We have so much to be grateful for.  Gratitude is an action, not just a thought.   We can meet each other where we are and find ways to celebrate the gift of group acceptance.  

Isn’t that what we do this for?  Graciously inviting and accepting other beautiful people into our “family”.  We can do this kindly and safely, using whatever mode: online video charges, snail mail, email, and phone.  We will conintue to find ways to reach out give our thanks.   Thanksgiving isn’t cancelled; it’s just going to be different for all of our safety. 

More than ever I am missing my communities.  Missing being with people. Missing laughing and crying together. Miss sharing Libby with her extended community.  Miss singing together with friends.  Miss all things “community.”. 
Miss hugging.  I miss hugs, so very much. But I cannot risk the health of anyone because of what I miss.  So, we are trying to use the technology to help keep our communities together.   

Thank you for those who have talked with me over the phone and various messages.  Thank you for those who have had brilliant and poignant conversations in person and through emails.   Thank you for fostering our community through these kind acts. We can choose to gather in the safest ways possible.  We need that. 

Be blessed and known that I am grateful for each and every one of you.   


Grandma Linda, Mariah and Derrick 

Rachael healing even with my hair all over. 

My loves..... just missing the niece and nephew.  
Happy 1st anniversary to Derrick and Mariah!

https://podcasts.apple.com/us/podcast/unlocking-us-with-bren%C3%A9-brown/id1494350511?i=1000500182333

No comments:

Post a Comment