Saturday, June 6, 2015

Sacrificing versus Giving

Usually I write about being a parent and sometimes about being a teacher, this is more about being a person. 

When I talk about sacrificing, I am not taking about simply letting go or giving something up.  There is a higher thought to this giving, it involves letting go of something for the benefit of someone or something, knowing that the sacrifice will cost you.  Further it means that you give with an open heart and clear conscience. 

Giving means to give without expecting anything back.  Giving of yourself: your talents, love, pain, joy, and time is risky.   You are the most precious thing, not the stuff or the things.  

I have made many sacrifices willingly, knowing what they would cost. I give of myself willingly, often ignoring the pieces of myself I have given away.    Recently I have made many sacrifices. I have made changes in our family plans, routines, and goals.    The key here is that these adjustments were made with prayer and an honest heart.   Knowing we would give up a lot and had the possibility of losing relationships.   I believe that if you do things for the right reason things will work out in the end.   

  With that being said changing yourself to make people happy or to fit their needs or their expectations is not okay. This is especially important for me to remember that I am not the person I was yesterday and that I am more than the mistakes I have made.   I truly do strive to be better everyday. 

I am not who I was twenty, ten, or five years ago. I also do and will not hang on to past pains and wrong doings.   I let them go.  I forgive.   I say I am sorry and I mean it. Pain from the past is heavy and I have other things to carry.   There are many in my life who are killing their present by holding onto the past.   This makes growth impossible.  Your roots become tangled and you will become diseased. 

Some of what we have done aside from getting Libby through graduation, arranging surgery on both legs, doctor visit to Ft. Worth to adjust her battery charges, new Occupational and Physical therapy evaluations, visit with services at Libby's college of choice, got her class
schedule for this Fall, and next we have meetings with DARS for further testing has been to ensure that we have and will be able to do what is the best for our family.  And add in a five hour trip to the lake, some side yard swimming, a little zoo action in Ft. Worth, and a little sleep.   We have much more to come as I am trying to get a bunch of summer in before Libby is stuck in double leg casts.  Have I mentioned that there is a tendon release surgery available for her hands as well?   That is a very possibility in her near future as well. 

There are terrible things that people do when they are hurting.  I can say honestly that I am sorry for your pain, I apologize for any pain I've caused, punish myself, react with anger, offer and then give forgiveness and then try to thrive.   I cannot make myself smaller or to make others feel like they've punished us enough.   I have lives depending on me.  We have a beautiful life and love should be shared and multiplied.   We cannot control how others treat us, but we can control how we respond to others.   I willingly sacrifice to give as much as I can to those who need our love and help. 




No comments:

Post a Comment