Friday, January 26, 2018

Growing Pains

     When I was little I would wake up in the middle of the night with terrible leg cramps.  Jumping out of bed and hopping around- stretching until the pain subsided. It was years later that I learned that by keeping moving I made the growing pains release sooner.  In my world still have to keep moving even if there is a little pain involved. 


     We went to Cook Children’s for a refill on her Baclofen Pump. During the visit we were told that we would need to “find someone” to manage her pump and DBS now that she is “of age.”  Not what I wanted to hear. 
         I love this hospital- it’s doctors and staff.  It is here that we found so many answers and opportunities.  Our beloved doc, Dr. Hottie, has done the testing and questing for our girl for eight years.  It is my trust in him and this place that allowed for the placement of the deep brain stimulators and the baclofen pump.   I do realize that as she progresses we will need someone closer to where we live, and this switch won’t happen overnight.  I love this hospital, and it will hurt to not have the comfort we get there. 

Little One ready to deliver a painting to her doctor, and he wasn’t there.   
   
        Libby’s pump is pumping and her Deep Brain Stimulators are stimulating.  Her weight has been steady since December 8!  That is a huge blessing!  I was warned that as her conditions progress it will be harder and harder for her bionic interventions to make a discernible difference in her tone. I’d rather not know exactly how stiff and spastic she is without the muscle relaxer or the electronic impulses. Some relief is always better than no relief. 

         So, we will be stretching and moving through this transition to an adult neurologist.  Luckily, Libby has an appointment next week with her primary care physician for a complete check up.  It has been a shamefully long time since she has had all the blood work done, so I look forward to establishing a baseline. I will request the referrals needed and move through these growing pains.  

      Be blessed and know that you are loved and appreciated. 
ileana


**Following are pictures from the pump refil procedure. If you are needle shy don’t look.  






               




No comments:

Post a Comment