Sunday, July 14, 2013

Treatments, Tests, and Theories

On Saturday, we were able to meet Thomas Jefferson Davis.  Kim and Jeff have been our closest friends for years. They have been with us through rain and shine: we judge time periods as before we met them and after.  This baby was greatly anticipated and long awaited.  Knowing this hospital stay was coming up I was worried that we would miss his entrance to the world.  In perfect Kimberly fashion she delivered beautifully and  calmly.

Jeff has been the reference for the kind of man we told our daughters to find to marry. Libby was in love with him for years and after Kim and Jeff married it took her awhile to accept that he really was Kim's.  Kim has been our example of a strong woman, who gives her all to everything she attempts.  Together, they are a great couple, and will create a beautiful family. Libby has already said that this baby boy will be a welcomed cousin and that she'll show him around the fort. Words cannot express our love and respect for these two and their impact on our lives.  Congratulations Kim and Jeff!
Love and excitement!!

We are on our way for a full week stay of treatments and tests at Cook Children's. Doctor Hottie, aka Dr. Acosta, Libby's name for him, has a list of tests to run and a treatment to try.  In the past three weeks she has gone only two days without her Klonopin.   Some days she is so locked up that it takes several doses and extra pain meds.   Multiple nights getting up with her has also returned.  Maybe we can find something that will help.  Maybe....

We will also be trying out the IVIG treatment, hopefully discussing and finalizing plans for the Deep
Brain Stimulators.  Lots of questions and info coming.   Strangely, I have a peace about the DBS. After some discussion Libby said she wanted the surgery if it will help her move.  Maybe...

Professionally, I've received several hard lessons.   Although I feel that I am ready to leave the classroom and spread my wings, I haven't found the position that needs me.  As with any disappointment, I worry that I am underestimated due to my commitment to Libby.  For the record, I am more focused and driven because of her.  I have become MORE because of her, not in spite of her.  I'll continue to work hard and trust that I'm where I am supposed to be.  I know that amazing things happen when I trust that I'm doing what I need to do- where I need to do it. 


Libby asked for her new journal this morning before we left the house.  She had a story to write.  I miss being able to read her stories.  She worked very hard at her story for the first 2 1/2 hours! When she was done she told us, laboring with each word, that this was her Lyme disease story.  Damn, wish I could read it. Wish I could get into her head and really understand what she's thinking and feeling.  My theory is that Libby probably knows exactly how to help her, she just doesn't have the words and/or the ability- yet.

Hugs to Mariah and my aunt Judy.  They are attempting to clear out the extra bedroom at my grandmother's house.  Judy is a saint, for many reasons, but currently she has made a commitment to live with my mother and my Grandmother and take care of them.  This is a helluva way to spend her retirement!  She is doing this partly because Libby has taken so much of my time and ability away from  helping take care of my mom and Grandmother.  Judy is sacrificing so much to be here and to get to spend this time with Grandmother. I admire her more everyday for her fortitude and to use my Aunt Beverly's term, Judy's  grit.
 
Mariah continues to find herself at crossroads.  She is redirecting herself and forging a new path.  I know she will be fine and have faith in her amazing abilities.  Much love child and know that I love you immensely! 

My motto for Libby since this year began has been to be a blessing.  We are all embracing this.  

Be a blessing and be blessed. 

Will update once we see the Docs tomorrow. 

No comments:

Post a Comment