Wednesday, April 27, 2022

Liberty whispers



When I knew that Liberty’s time was bgetting shorter, I tried to make a list of what would help everyone (me) deal with letting her go. These little gifts are what I cling to. Here is part of what I came up with:


  1. Sing her favorite songs with abandon

  2. Love on one of her favorite “babies”

  3. Wear outfits that she liked

  4. Notice butterflies

  5. Find birds (hawks and others)

  6. Watch a show or a movie she enjoyed

  7. Hike for her

  8. Play in  water

  9. Howl at the moon

  10.Dance ridiculously

Whatever it is, I NEED to feel her presence.  This part is important as the ache I have with her not being physically here is overwhelming.  


The missing of Liberty is an expected guest at this point. Never know when it will arrive.  I miss her. I miss taking care of her.  I miss carrying her. I miss feeding her. I miss bathing her.  I miss her smile. I miss her eyes shining at me. The only time I’ve felt really pretty is when Libby told me I was pretty. I miss sleeping next to her and counting her breaths over and over again.  It is in the missing of her that I can be lost.  I held grief and fear at bay while taking care of her and loving on her.  Now, I have so much less to do.  Sometimes it is like a tidal wave of missing rolls through me.  My throat constricts and my heart races.   My eyes leak.


These Liberty attacks are still there, but now I try to breathe through them.   I acknowledge the missing has come for a visit.  I have to let this guest in, so that I can continue.  And I’m trying.    


What's Your Grief? has some great articles especially the information about secondary losses. 


Scars In Heaven - Casting Crowns (Lyrics)

You are loved.

No comments:

Post a Comment