Wednesday, October 10, 2018

High Fives and Hugs

    Recently we spent a chilly Saturday morning serving at our local Buddy Walk, which benefits people with and supporters of people with Down’s Syndrome.  This is one of my favorite groups to work for and support because there is palpable joy within their community.  
     There are games, bouncie houses, face painting, dancing, and local businesses there to bring a smile, advocate and share. 
     For the last few years the volunteers have lined up along the walk route to cheer and high five the families as they complete the walk.  There were at least a hundred volunteers lining up to chant, cheer, high five, and hug the families and participants.  
       This is the best part.  The most important part to me.   For me.   Every year it is the family and supporters of the wonderful people with Down’s Syndrome that I am captivated by.  
         This year I saw more new moms than ever in the family line up. Maybe I just haven’t noticed before.   There were several families with babies who have Down’s that passed amidst our cheers, and I noticed one mom crying as she passed.   Then another.   By the time the third family passed with a little blessing triumphant in the stroller I was bawling.   (I don’t cry very well.  I know it’s an issue- a dam that needs to hold.). 
      Ugly crying. I excused myself for a bit to get myself together.   I realized I needed to cry with them.   They have a beautiful and hard life ahead, and I somewhat understand the overwhelming fear.  Understand the joy.  Understand the desperation and need for answers to questions they don’t even know to ask yet.  
       I believe that at some point every parent needs to feel a community cheering them on, ripe with high fives, smiles, and hugs.   Many of us get overwhelmed and fearful.   More so those with children with needs beyond the normal.  
        In these beautiful moments, I realized that what so many of us need is some cheering on. Don’t be afraid to tell a parent, family member, caretaker, etc that they are doing amazing things.  Tell them that every minute of every day may feel like a test, or the final leg of a gauntlet, yet they’re getting through.  They’re doing it.  Tell them.   Cheer them on.    Don’t be stingy with the high fives and hugs. 
         We all need them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment