Saturday, April 22, 2017

Leaving the Shore

       For years after Liberty's health tanked I was afraid to go and do anything that took us out of cell phone range, away from hospitals, and anything that took me away from her.    I didn't want to do activities that might wear my body out or risk injury.   I lived in fear of breaking an arm or rolling an ankle.    Didn't want to go the doctor because what if I ever got news that I wouldn't be able to continue taking care of Libby?  I would change anything at all, so I didn't go to the doc.   
 
In retrospect I realize that I was making choices with a guilt and grief clouded mind.  The past few years I have gone to the doctor and  allowed myself to let go of some of the fears. Started working out and pushing my body last year.   This alone was a huge step.   I can't be too tired to take care of the Liberty, but as I get older I have to strengthen and push my body so I CAN  keep taking care of the Liberty.    I had to leave the shore and let go.   Never thought I would want to run, but turns out I love it.  I've completed one official half marathon- at 46- and have several more on the horizon.  Look what was waiting for me when I let go of the fear.
 
Mariah needs me to be a strong woman for her as well.    She needs to know that the more that Libby requires the tougher we will all become.  It is terribly important that I show her that growth happens when we choose to embrace it.  

I have adopted this concept in several other areas of my life and even if nothing comes from the multitude of ways in which I have put myself out there, professionally, I know I will be further along that if I had never tried.   It is scary, and that is good for me.   I believe it is when we push ourselves past that fear that we grow.   I've got to shine the light on the things that hold me back and move on.  It is for my own growth that doing so is now necessary.     
 
Once I let go of the shore and started taking better care of myself by working out, I knew I couldn't let myself go back to the safety and be restricted by fear.   So, here we go.   Leaving the shore and crossing the ocean of our life.   I am blessed that I have a great support system that accepts my goals and endeavors.    I can't wait to see what the future holds as we all live healthier and more adventurous lives with Liberty.   For Liberty.  For us all. 
 
**Whatever it is that you wish you could do and never have, please make a plan to do it.   Leap with me.  I have faith that there are amazing things waiting for all of us.  

No comments:

Post a Comment