Monday, May 30, 2016

Raft or Cement Block


Here at the end of the school year the look of fatigue is everywhere. It  feels like we're dragging ourselves across the finish line; carrying our wounded and schlepping bags of  old lunch containers, school shoes,  and books-lots of books. We teachers and staff finish with dogged determination, exhilaration and a lingering sense of what wasn't done, or what wasn't done well.   Because of the structure of  our school system, teachers are given some time to reflect and we call it Summer.  

For myself I have been batting an idea around about what things keep me afloat.   Here are some of the questions I'm asking myself. 
What things buoy me- a raft separating and salvaging me from dangerous depths? 
What things drag me down- a cement block tied to me in deep water?   
What words, actions, relationships, hopes, reactions, practices lift me in a way that allows me to be the best me I can?  
What words, actions, relationships, hopes, reactions, practices pull me down and prevent me from being the person I can be?  
Am I surrounding myself with rafts? Or anchors?  
Am I a raft or a cement block  to others? 
Which are you- to others? 

I cannot spend my reflective time comparing myself to others.  I have to reflect on what I have done, am doing, and will do.    I also will rejoice in the victories and forgive myself and learn from the defeats.  

Be blessed.   Much more coming. 

No comments:

Post a Comment