Saturday, August 29, 2015

New Loves

I
   If I said that teaching was easy and that I always felt successful at making my students successful, I would be lying. Every period, day, year, and especially every student is different.  Last year I came very near to giving up.  I felt as if my heart couldn't keep going. 

  Getting Libby through her senior year following Deep Brain Stimulator implants, Grandmother falling and moving to a nursing home, my Mom not dealing with Grandmother being gone at all, new teaching position for me, and more stressors that I can't list made the last school year a challenging one- to put it lightly.
 
  I lost both of my Grandmothers within a six month period, moved my mom into a house of her own, the complete detachment of family members, loss of friendships due to work stuff- too much loss. 

  But what I gained was a chance to be schooled by an amazing group of students.   Every year I learn so much, this past year I was changed.   This year I was schooled.  This group of students had been with Liberty since her freshman year.  They made her their Queen and changed many other lives in the process. 
  
   Liberty has now completed her first week of college and everyone survived. 

  At our first Pep Rally on Thursday, I realized that the new group of students  I have are mine and will continue to teach me, as I will try to teach them. 
  
  So, I took down the Hall of Fame pictures from last year. I took them down because they are moving on. They have their wings and need to go forward. Their pictures will live with all of my other past loves.   

  I can't ever close a door to a student, it's my job to help them open many.   Much love and belief to Class of 2015- go and be extraordinary! 
Joy and promise to Class of 2016! 

No comments:

Post a Comment