Wednesday, April 9, 2014

Genetic testing

Dr. Hottie and Mr. Surgeon want Libby to have a very unusual genetic test done, before the DBS, Deep Brain Stimulator surgery. This test would only give them, the medical folks, and us, more information.  The trick is that they would like for both biological parents to also be tested. Have searched and reached out for the other bio and no response. 

This test is the Whole Exome Testing.  The WES gives an exome by exome mapping of participants.   By testing Libby we will learn something that may give some answers and maybe even treatment options. 

The info came in the mail today and I was not ready.  We got Libby bathed and had dinner. I opened the package and was not prepared.     Some things you know are coming and you put them in a box for later.   Then, like a jack in the box, they spring up sooner than expected. 
Sorry it is sideways. This is the note attached to both of our permission slips. 

If you had a chance to have genes really checked  out would you?  

What if my WES says that I've passed this on?   (Then I couldn't control it.)
What if it says I didn't? (Then what if it is the other genes in her system?  Or, what if it is Lyme and there is no genetic marker?   
 
What if nothing is found in Libby and something is found in me and not Libby? 
The "what if" list is long and arduous.  It boils down to possibly "my fault" and "not my fault" or to "under my control" and "not under my control". 

When I asked Rachael to pace and talk to me that was normal. Sitting down in the middle of the little intersection to look at our property and talk and think was different.  A sweet neighbor asked, "do you need a bottle of water?" Which tells me I may act a bit more differently on a regular basis than I think.  "No, I need to think....and the perspective here is great." 

Would you? Is information always valuable?  Information does not have emotions; it is data, without feelings.  We bring our own junk to the table when we talk about information.  I believe in truth and have faith.  Now, gonna put this back into a box until we get past prom which is this Saturday.  

Libby is going to Prom- junior year.....

And a box with "incidental findings".... Prom and her glitter bra and dress are more important right now.  Yea, glitter bra.... Ugh

No comments:

Post a Comment